This is one of the most interesting and important alternative treks to Inca Trail, this trek perfectly combines cultural and natural beauty with different biodiversity of flora, different ecosystems, and an Inca remains laid on top of a mountain facing the back of Machupichu mountain, and finally this trail gets us to Aguas Calientes located at the base of the historical and archeological site and one of the seven wonders which is Machupicchu. Early morning visit to see the sunshine and avoid crowds whilst touring Machupicchu with our English speaking and knowledgeable tour guides.
DISCOVERING THE CUSCO EXPEDITION: SALKANTAY TO MACHU PICCHU
Experience the “Deep Cusco”, hiking one of Peru’s most picturesque landscapes around Cusco. This 4 days trekking expedition will take you at the base of the sacred Salkantay snow peak (6,271 meters; 20,870 feet), considered by the local natives to be the “Guardian Spirit of the Jungle” and will provide you with the opportunity to experience remote native communities and the region’s ecological biodiversity, before reaching the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. You will need a good dose of adrenaline as you hike up a pass above 4600 meters (15,300 feet). The trip is supported with horses for your convenience and we provide you with top quality camping equipment and a very balanced and energetic diet. Want a remote experience in the Andes; the Cusco Expedition is waiting for you!!!
1st Day: CUSCO – SORAYPAMPA – WAYRACMACHAY – LOS ANDENES
Early morning pick up from your hotel and transfer by private bus to breakfast at Mollepata(2700m). Following a two more hours’ drive we arrive at Soraypampa (trailhead) (3,800mt).
We start a gently ascent at the head of the valley, and the trail then goes steep uphill and comes to a series of zigzags. All around, you will enjoy a breathtaking view of Salkantay (6,271mt) (guardian spirit of the Jungle).
After 4 hours hike we reach the highest pass (4,630m), where we have stunning scenery of the sacred mountains in the Peruvian Andes, Humantay and Salkantay. That will compensate the great effort in reaching the top which is marked by several piles of stones spread out that grow daily as each traveler adds his pebble to thank the Apus (mountain spirits) for a safe trip and good luck. We then start descending to lunch and the trail then continues descending to 3,400mt in 2 and half hours when we arrive to our first campsite at Andenes (3400mt).
2nd Day: LOS ANDENES – WAYRACPUNKU – LA PLAYA
Following an early breakfast, we will leave the beautiful pyramid shaped peak of Salkantay behind us. From now, the fauna and flora change as we enter the tropical cloud forest and discover its lush vegetation of wild orchids, bromeliads and also beautiful birds. Continuing our descent through the groves of bamboos; don’t forget to keep looking back at the snow-peaks behind you, framed by bamboo fronds, providing some bird watching opportunities without missing the view fast-flowing river and going across some amazing untouched path where strawberries grow at your feet and passion fruit are above your head in a decor of begonias and purple orchids! After 5 hours hike we arrive at the hamlet of Wayracpunku for lunch. We then set out again on the hike for the last 2 and half hours to La Playa, and as we drop the vegetation gets more lush and the temperature gets warmer, where coffee plantations, banana trees, avocado trees, and corn grow on the way to our camp site at La Playa.
3rd Day: LA PLAYA – HYDROELECTRIC – AGUAS CALIENTES
We wake up early this day to start a nice way uphill, which will give us some amazing views over the valley. After 3 hours, we will enjoy a break in a plain where an important Inca remains named Llactapata overlooks one of the main highlights in South America “Machupicchu”. It is a magical view given to us that the main part of tourists will never see! A 2 hours going down the trail, easily leads the hikers into a forest of increasingly thick vegetation and tall trees leads us to the hydroelectric town lunch spot, we then follow the railway heading up the Urubamba valley to our last destination at Aguas Calientes and stay overnight in a hostel.
4th Day: MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
Early morning start we get a bus up to Machu Picchu sanctuary and enter early for the best photos opportunities and then spend 2 hours of guided tour and the rest of the morning on your own visiting and exploring the remains. Finally we can either get the bus back down to Aguas Calientes or walk back down for lunch and wait in town chilling until train departure time.
Day 05: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – AGUAS CALIENTES – OLLANTA – CUSCO.
“VISIT THE LOST CITY OF THE INCAS”
We will wake up early in the morning in order to take one of the first buses to Machu Picchu in order to see the sunrise. You will have a 3 hour guide tour by your English speaking guide. After that you will have plenty of time to explore and enjoy Machu Picchu by yourself. Those who have tickets to Huayna Picchu will have time to climb the mountain, which takes approximately 1.5 hours round trip. When done exploring, you will take a bus or walk down to Aguas Calientes to enjoy your lunch and take a train back to Ollantaytambo or Poroy and then by bus to Cusco where you will be brought back to your hotel.
- pick up from airport to your hotel
- guided tour of one our special offer tour
- Professional English speaking tour guide
- briefing day before the trek.
- Pick up from your hotel to the start point in cusco
- Private bus to Mollepata – Sayllapata
- 2 person per tents
- profesional cook, asistant and porters
- Personal porter of 8 kilos
- Full buffet meals, Breakfast, Lunches and Dinners
- snacks, cold boiled water to fill up your water bottles
- First-aid kit and emergency oxygen tank, if you have your own please bring with you
- Horses – mules to carry tents, food, cooking equipment
- Hot water for washing your hands each day
- Train from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes
- Entrance Ticket to Machu Picchu Archaeological site
- Expedition Tourist Class Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollanta and private bus transportation to Cusco
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes
- all camping equipment, but not sleeping bag and walking pools
- Sleeping bag, you can rent from us.
- Lunch and Dinner on the 5 th day
- Extra Drinks, bottle water,
- The bus down from Machupicchu to Aguas Calientes US$9
- Tips for your crew guides cooks, horse herders
WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU BRING FOR THE TREK?
- A small Backpack
- sleeping bag, you can rent from us
- walking steaks, you can rent from us
- Hiking boots
- Warm clothes and trekking pants.
- Flash light or head torch
- Camera with extra batteries
- Thermals : wool socks, Gloves / scarf and woolen hat for cold nights
- Insect repellent ( very important )
- sun block, sun glasses, hat or cap
- a plastic rain poncho
- toilet paper
- Bathing clothes for the hot springs
- Water bottle : water purifying tablets optional
- Personal medical kit (very important)
- Original passport and ISIC student card if applicable
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks