Forty kilometers from Cuzco, in the Cuzco Region of Peru, is the town of Maras, found in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Tourist sites in the area include the colonial church and local salt mines, the scenery of which is interesting to observe and photograph.
Since pre-Inca times, salt has been obtained in Maras by evaporating salty water (provided by a nearby subterranean stream) in the sun, leaving the salt behind.
In the mines there are thousands of salt-pools; when light is reflected there the effect is said to be quite stunning.
Moray, seeing this Inca green-house is spectacular!! This tour will take you to the magnificent series of terrace circles set into the ground that were once used by the Incas for experimentation with crops.
You will also visit the nearby salt mines and enjoy the tranquil farms and atmosphere of the area.
- DEPARTURES: Daily
- HOURS: Can be done in the morning or afternoon
Places that are visited:
- Inca terraces of Moray
- Salt mines of Maras
- Maras Village
- Round-trip transportation (tourist bus)
- English-speaking Tour Guide
- Entrance fees to all sites visited
What you need to take:
- Warm and waterproof jacket (depending on season )
- Sun protection cream (factor 35 recommended)
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Camera and films